Wax Jambu and dragon fruit



This is my first blog. I live in San Diego, about 5 miles from the ocean. I have a few subtropical frut trees such as mango, cherimoya, Loquat, guava, wax Jambu (left picture) and Dragon fruit (right picture). The wax Jambu (Syzygium samarangense "Black pearl") was planted 2 years ago and fruited the first this year. The fruit is crunch, sweet and juicy. The dragon fruit was planted last year and I have only a single fruit that should mature soon.

I also have lot of flower plants which I will have pictures in the future. 
.
I grow vegetables such as tomato, pepper, cilantro, basil, and eggplant and some Chinese vegetable.

Comments

SDGardener said…
KTD:

Do you have enough sunlight? All my fruit trees in the xouth corner of my yard and they receive sunlight all day long.
swsmith6 said…
How is your wax jambu doing? Did you need to protect it for the bad frost earlier this year? I am thinking about growing a wax jambu is my yard in Rancho Penasquitos, SD, CA. Where did you get your plant? Is your plant in a pot or in the ground? If in the ground, what month did you put it in?
SDGardener said…
Dear SWSmith:

My wax jambu is doing fine. The tips were damaged, but new branches grew beneath the burned tip as soon as the weather warms up. It did not flower as much this year, though.

I got it from Ong Nursery in San Diego (It has a website). It is in the ground and has grown vigorously. I think I planted in June. Generally, subtropical trees will grow better if it is planted in early summer so it has time to adapt to the ground before the cool weather hit.
Wax jambu definitely is one the easiest subtropical trees to grow in coastal SD, the other is Mango.

Good luck with your adventure.

SDGardener

Popular posts from this blog

Ornamental Kale (Brassica oleracea 'Acephala')

Wax jambu revisited

Sugarcane