Manilla Mango Ripening



The Manila mango plant I bought from Home Depot in a 1-gallon pot 2 years ago has several almost-ripe fruits on them. The label from Home Depot indicated it is "Manila" variety. However, They don't look like the yellow Manila mango you get from the supermarket (especially the oriental supermarkets) since they have lot of spots and appear to be more greenish-yellow. I am not sure about the if I should trust the Home Depot label since the plants are often mis-labeled.

I am just thrilled that the plant has done well enough to fruit. It was like 2 and 1/2 feet tall when I planted it. Now it is about 6 feet tall. The tree is quite ornamental too. The new leaves are red and contrast very prettily against the mature green leaves. It has a tendency to have too many buds from the joint, so I have to cut a few new growth off to avoid over-crowding. I have not seen any insects or disease problems so far even though aphid, mealy bugs and giant white flies have been problems for other fruit trees. So, it probably likes the coastal weather.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing some pics and growth history of your mango tree. Good to know the manila variety grows fast and is doing well out at your yard. Do you by any chance know how wide the root system spreads. This will give me an idea how far to plant from the foundation. Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Ornamental Kale (Brassica oleracea 'Acephala')

Wax jambu revisited

Sugarcane